Autism in Popular Culture

A place for chatting about autistic-coded characters in popular culture, whether they’re meant to be autistic or not.

Mr Spock? Christopher Boone? Fox Mulder? Leslie Knope? Inspector Javert? Niles Crane? Tell us all your thoughts!

Also, a plug for my YouTube show about this exact subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGn6zGFkRk&list=PLzkh5rijaDYon-xfRHwODrgskJth_zYUD

Data from Star Trek: TNG has always spoken to me not as an autistic character per se, but as a character developed to encourage people to reflect on interactions between autistic and neurotypical people.

apprently according to Wikipedia Reed Richards Mr. Fantastic) from the Fantastic Four is listed as an autistic character

I will have to think about that one

That’s so interesting, thinking of it in terms of interactions instead of about the discrete characters! And yes, robot / cyborg characters like Data tend to have autistic traits (like being hyper-logical, not picking up figures of speech, etc).

Has anyone read The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet? There is a character in there I thought was coded as autistic.