How do you tell people you're autistic?

There are so many different situations and different ways to tell people that you’re autistic - there’s doctors, parents, teachers, friends, partners, how you phrase it, how long you wait to tell them. What do you do? I talk about being autistic so much and it’s such a fundamental part of my life that I often forget that someone doesn’t know! I normally blurt it out as soon as possible. I haven’t figured out how to have that discussion with employers (other than working here, where being autistic is a requirement). Sometimes, especially in dating, someone will compliment me on something like, my knowledge about a special interest, and I’ll say something like “thanks! that’s because I’m autistic!”. They’re normally caught off guard by my confidence and I find it really funny.

What do you do?

I experience that most people find out about my autism before I even tell them; they see me on social media talking about it, and then they learn. When I was single, that’s how the men I was dating found out … the looked at my social media. lol

I’m very open about being autistic, so tell people whenever I need to. The last time I told someone was at the airport; an employee was very stressed, speaking quickly, and refusing to help me with a very time sensitive and urgent matter (my autistic daughter getting off the plane unaccompanied and I needed to make sure I was at the right gate to pick her up!).

The man continued to refuse to help and was telling me to go some direction. I said very clearly that I was autistic, he was speaking much too quickly for me, and I did not understand him.

Just before that incident, I was at a hotel and they were doing a big fundraiser for Autism Speaks. So I told the receptionist that most autistics hate that organization…

Anyway - I tell people all the time … but again, it just depends on the situation.

Hi I have only been diagnosed in October last year but I’ve known for years before that. I drop it into every conversation I can as I want everyone to become familiar with the autism, to normalise the condition so that we can all become equal to each other, not odd or disables.

I feel relatively relaxed about telling people, though I usually play it down (“super mild”). What I find much harder doing is articulated what that means in terms of my needs.

I chose my career because I wanted to work with autistic people, so usually that comes up in conversation and then people ask me, “why autistic people?” and it kinda goes from there.