What is the best pen to write with?

I use a lot of crappy biros, but I am interested in buying A Pen that I try and keep. I would like something with a bit of weight to it, but that doesn’t smudge. No more than £20.

There’s a very fine balance between a pen that doesn’t smudge and a ballpoint pen that isn’t cheap and rubbish. I think you’re probably looking for something from rollerball pen family, like this: https://www.staples.co.uk/rollerball/cbs/223351313.html

I also tried to have A Pen but I found that I just lost them, all the time, so now I circulate ballpoint pens in my life (they travel from pocket to desk to bag to ID tags to pocket…), and keep a Parker fountain pen in my pen-pot at home for when I need to write nicely (sometime I handwrite letters because it looks nice and in some cases, it’s easier than laying out a template in Word). They’re known for being fountain pens that don’t smudge, but because I use it so rarely, it always needs cleaning because the ink dries. So depends on what you’re planning to use it for.

Also, these do smudge if you’re writing in a hurry but can I just give a shout-out to my favourite pen, the Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 Liquid Ink Rollerball Stick Pen. It is so pleasurable to handle, and the tip has fabulous precision, the ink is really clear and crisp (unless you swipe your hand across the page and smudge it before it dries!) and generally it makes me very happy when I have one in my life.

(I think we’re onto a winner with this Q+A because I totally just had to drop everything I was doing as soon as I saw this and spend ten minutes browsing Staples to find the name of my favourite pen.)

I am a big fan of these from Muji:

also both of them come in lots of different colours so you can have Consistency when you colour-code stuff which is very very important to me.

Nice, there is a Muji really close to me so I will explore this weekend!